The best insulation for a shed is one that is inexpensive, easy to install yourself, low maintenance, fire resistant, moisture-proof, and safe. You want an insulation that keeps a shed cool in the summer and warm in the winter. This article explains why fiberglass is the best insulation for a shed and how to install it.
Fiberglass insulation is best for a shed or garden office because it is inexpensive, easy to install, durable, and requires minimal maintenance. It is fire resistant and is moisture-proof. It is not a health hazard once drywall is installed.
Best Insulation For A Shed
Insulating a shed helps to regulate temperatures such as cold and heat thus creating an ideal environment to store your sensitive tools and equipment. It can also enable you to transform your shed into a living space or retreat. Plus, it lowers the cost of energy bills.
Insulating your shed can also prolong the life of your shed by keeping out moisture, humidity, and extreme temperatures that can damage the structure of your shed.
The truth of the matter is that there is numerous insulation for your shed so choosing the best one might be a hard and daunting task. Most people are usually stuck up on the choice of insulation, some even end up choosing insulation that isn’t feasible for their sheds.
Different sheds require different types of insulation. This is because different sheds are constructed in different manners and using various materials. These often determine the type of insulation that is best for particular sheds.
Fiberglass is easy to work with and can therefore be easily installed in your shed compared to other insulation. Installing Fiberglass Insulation in your shed can even be a DIY project that will take you little time to complete.
Fiberglass Insulation For A Shed
But despite all these, one type of insulation that most people agree on is that fiberglass insulation is the best type of insulation for most sheds. It is versatile in its use and therefore most people prefer to use this insulation for their sheds.
Fiberglass insulation is manufactured using tiny fibers of glass that are spun at extremely hot temperatures. From its appearance, it looks a lot like cotton candy, but the fibers are packed close together to create batts/rolls of insulation. Most home builders use this type of insulation.
Health And Safety
Once drywall is placed over fiberglass insulation, it is not a health hazard making it safe to live and breathe the air in your shed. Installing fiberglass insulation yourself is easy, just make sure you use the appropriate safety precautions.
For most people, installation of insulation is often a troublesome affair and at times can be quite frustrating. So for most people, the best type of insulation would be one that is easy to install. This is what makes Fiberglass such a great insulation for your shed.
Compared to all other insulation types, Fiberglass is one of the most inexpensive choices out there. That’s why it is one of the most popular insulation for the majority of home builders.
Because Fiberglass is relatively inexpensive, it is a great choice for your shed. It can cost you anywhere around $20-$30 which is quite affordable. The total cost of insulating your shed will depend on its size and you may need a couple of rolls of Fiberglass.
One important feature of insulation is that it must be able to resist moisture that may be in the air (humidity) or that may penetrate through the roof.
Fiberglass does a great job in resisting moisture. Because it can resist moisture, it is less prone to the growth of mold. Anything that may be stored in your shed will also be protected from moisture. That’s why Fiberglass is a great insulation for your shed.
Most buildings nowadays are made of wood and timber. This is why there is such a great need to have non-combustible insulation. The reason why fiberglass is a great insulation for your shed is that it is a non-combustible material/ fire resistant and it is therefore great for the safety of your shed.
Fiberglass is a good insulator for your shed because it is quite durable and has a long life even under harsh conditions. It requires minimal maintenance and therefore it is a good choice for your shed.
Fiberglass is good insulation if you have any chemicals stored in your shed. This is because it is resistant to aggressive chemicals, liquids, and alkalis.
All in all, it’s possible to see why Fiberglass is such a good insulation choice for your shed. So why not try it out and reap the benefits discussed above.
How To Insulate A Shed Using Fiberglass
Fiberglass is easy to install yourself. This means that installing it into your shed can be a DIY project and you don’t have to spend a lot on hiring help.
It’s very important to wear a N95 Mask when installing fiberglass. Use this type of respirator when working around heavy amounts of dust, dirt and non-toxic vapors, such as when sanding wood or hanging fiberglass insulation.
- NIOSH APPROVED N95 MASK RESPIRATOR - Approval Number: 84A-7447 - certified for at least 95% particulate filtration efficiency. Manufacturer: SUZHOU SANICAL PROTECTIVE PRODUCT MANUFACTURING CO., LTD.
- FILTER MEDIA - This N95 Masks has four filter layers, PP spunbond outer layer, PP needle-punched nonwoven inner layer 19 g, PP meltblown high filtration layer, PP spunbond layer, PP meltblown high filtration layer have double layer thickening filter media.
- ADJUSTABLE NOSE CLIP - 3D nose clip design with inner and outer layers N95 Mask. This is an adjustable nose bridge design n95 filter respirator with a double-layer nose bridge design. It's very comfortable and breathable, soft inner foam nosepiece made of black PU foam, hidden adjustable outer nose clip made of iron wire+plastic nose clip. Accord with Human face design.
- HEADBAND STYLE - The double elastic head straps are soft and gentle to eliminate the pressure behind the ears compared with the style with the ear strap behind the ear, this head rope will be more comfortable, better airtightness and the tightness will be safer than the ear elastic style mask even when worn for a long time.
- N95 MASK WIDELY USE - When you go to crowded public places and enclosed public spaces such as office, school, malls, party and busy city streets.
Fiberglass insulation needs to be handled carefully. Always protect yourself by covering your eyes, nose, and mouth, and also wear protective gloves whenever you handle fiberglass.
Before You Start
Door and windows are intact
There is no point in insulating a shed if the windows and doors are compromised since the effect of the insulation will be automatically lost.
Floor and roof have no leaks
Pay close attention to the overlaps and corners of the roofing and flooring materials to make sure there are no leaks that can compromise the insulation of the shed.
No gaps in the cladding
You should seal the gaps in the cladding of the shed with a moisture-resistant and weatherproof sealant. This will improve the effect of insulation and make sure that the shed is impervious to damp and extreme temperatures.
Choose A Good Quality Fiberglass Insulation
Fiberglass insulation is the most popular type of fiberglass insulation on the market. It’s pink because companies started dying it pink to show a contrast when installing. Also, it’s good for marketing.
Pro Tip: Fiberglass insulation usually comes with a paper or foil backing. It is important that this backing always faces the warm side of your shed. Improper installation of fiberglass can have devastating effects and will do nothing to insulate your shed.
- Get the measurements of your shed and visit a home improvement store to get professional advice on the amount of Fiberglass insulation you will require. Once you are aware of this, get the Fiberglass insulation.
- Tack a breathable membrane such as Tyvek wrap to the inner parts of your shed’s walls and floor.
- Place the fiberglass batts on top of the membrane and then cut them to fit in well. The backing of the fiberglass should face the warm side of your shed.
- If you have electrical cables and boxes in your shed, split the fiberglass bats to fit around them.
- If there are any gaps in the windows and doors, fill them with fiberglass too.
- Using a staple gun, staple the fiberglass into place. When done, check to confirm that all staples are driven to the surface. If there are any protruding staples, tap them down.
- Add a solid sheet wood board to cover the fiberglass.
Insulating your shed should be a top priority and fiberglass is the best insulation for a shed. But, there are other cheap ways to insulate a shed that don’t involve fiberglass, too.